Agriculture & Rural Services
The County of Northern Lights Agricultural Service Board (ASB) is composed of five persons (two farming ratepayers and three County Councilors), who meet approximately eight times a year.
The vision of the Agricultural Service Board is:
To enhance and conserve the agricultural sector for the producers within the County of Northern Lights
The role of the ASB is to:
- Act as an advisory body to assist the County Council and the Minister of Agriculture in matters of mutual concern
- Assist with direct weed and pest control and soil and water conservation programs
- Assist in the control of livestock disease under the Livestock Diseases Act
- Promote, enhance and protect viable and sustainable agriculture with a view to the improving economic viability of the agricultural producer
- Promote and develop agricultural policies to meet the needs of the County.
The County of Northern Lights collaborates with the North Peace Applied Research Association (NPARA) a non-profit, producer driven organization serving agricultural producers of the County of Northern Lights. NPARA’s goal is to promote soil and water conservation, agricultural production, marketing and technology transfer within the County. For additional information: 780.836.3354 or www.areca.ab.ca/cpara.
Agricultural Fieldman: Terry Schamehorn
Tel: 780.836.3348 Ext: 225