North Road Supervisor (Lead Hand)
The County has an opening for one full-time permanent North Road Supervisor (Lead Hand Classification). Reporting to the Director of Public Works, this position will ensure that operational and capital budgets are prepared and controlled by overseeing items of revenues and expenditures.
This position will be responsible to deal first hand with the public, contractors, and industries throughout the County. Other specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Organize material, equipment and human resources in activities such as culvert replacement, road repair, guardrail work, ditching, brushing, approaches, and road grading/maintenance.
- Supervise and assist as necessary with all aspects of daily routine maintenance, culvert installations, approaches, sign installations, gravel application (spot gravelling), drainage and ditching.
- Responsible for obtaining right of way agreements, land purchase agreements and other agreements required prior to any construction or maintenance of roads, bridges, and brushing.
- Ensure that general road maintenance and grading of the roads are conducted in an efficient manner.
- Interfacing with landowners who have drainage complaints, culvert-related work requests and installation of approaches.
- Ensuring that all record-keeping and paperwork required for project tracking, work orders, fleet maintenance records, safety meetings, etc are kept up to date and accurate
- Responsible for annual budget preparation and regular budget reviews.
- Review, code and approve all invoices and related paperwork to verify accuracy and monitor expenditures.
- Responsible for regular safety/toolbox meetings with employees and contractors along with inspections of job sites to ensure safe project operation. Be aware of and adhere to all safety requirements and policies of Occupational Health and Safety.
- Ensure applicable Federal, Provincial and Municipal regulations are followed through the course of operations.
- Routinely assess the performance of employees and provides guidance and assistance where improvement is required; this will include identification of training needs and scheduling training requirements for departmental staff.
- Will notify and work with the Director of Public Works if there is a need to take disciplinary action where performance improvement is required.
- Communicate regularly with other County Public Works Supervisors, employees and co-workers of general operation on matters pertaining to and affecting transportation within the County.
- Adhere to all of the County policies and procedures and make recommendations for change, addition or deletions as required.
- Arrange for mechanical repairs and service for County equipment, or by contracting if unable to carry out in-house. Ensure crews care for equipment and buildings, which they utilize.
- Willing to work overtime hours during extreme weather conditions, disaster areas and emergency situations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Several years of experience in the field of Municipal Public Works or Road Maintenance.
- Supervisory experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to plan and coordinate work activities while maintaining quality output and a safe working environment.
- Good physical condition.
Please submit applications/resumes to Karly Blanton, email@example.com Applications will be received until 4:30 p.m. on October 15th, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.