Landowner and Hunter Information

Fall and hunting season is once again upon us. Here is some information you may find helpful as a landowner and/or as a hunter.


Public Land vs. Agricultural Land

  • Privately owned land: The landowner has the right to permit or deny access for any reason.
  • Agricultural public land: The leaseholder is required to provide reasonable recreational access. Access may be denied under certain conditions, as specified in the Recreation Access Regulations.


Obtaining Landowner/Lease Holder Permission

Use respect. Always contact the leaseholder or landowner before entering onto agricultural public lands or privately-owned lands. The most current County of Northern Lights Landowner information can only be found in the County Landowner Maps, available for purchase at the County of Northern Lights office at #600 7th Ave NW, Manning. Please note that the County of Northern Lights does not provide landowner maps or information to any hunting phone apps.

If you are a County landowner and would like some free ‘Use Respect, Ask First’ signs, you can pick them up at the County of Northern Lights office in Manning.  The signs have a space for the landowner name and contact information. The signs are intended to make it easy for hunters to meet the responsibility of contacting leaseholders or landowners before entering onto their lands.


Reporting a Poacher

Unsure of how to report, or what should be reported?

Fish and Wildlife officers want to know about these kinds of incidents:

  • suspicious hunting or fishing activity
  • wildlife emergencies (e.g., a bear encounter)
    • for a problem with an animal that's not an emergency, call your nearest Fish and Wildlife office during regular business hours
  • serious public land abuses
    • driving a vehicle in the bed or shore of a natural water body
    • driving up and down a stream
    • not using a nearby established crossing, bridge or ford to cross a natural water body
    • creating tire ruts
    • creating new vehicle trails in an area that already has existing trails
    • taking their vehicle off trail in sensitive high alpine areas
    • blocking existing trails
    • clearing a new trail to access another area
    • clearing trees and other plants to create a camping spot
    • building or inhabiting an unauthorized structure on public lands
    • leaving large amounts of litter
    • abandoning vehicles
    • entering closed areas


You can report a poacher and/or suspicious hunting activity 24/7 by using the online form or by calling the toll-free number at: 1-800-642-3800 For more information on  


2019 Alberta Hunting Regulations


Hunting regulations may change from year-to-year. You can obtain a digital copy of the regulations by visiting the website. Hard copies may also be available at draw/licensing retailers (depending on availability).





Did You Know