Recreation and Culture

Recreation Boards

Under the Recreation and Culture Funding policy, the County of Northern Lights provides funds directly to two (2) Recreation Boards to disburse funds to groups and organizations operating within the County and the support communities of Grimshaw, Manning, and Peace River.

Eligible expenses would include program and event funding, advertising, operating or start-up costs, and capital assistance up to $10,000.

Recreation Boards receive a set amount of funds to distribute each year. The funding is based on a per household basis with the per-household rate set by Council during annual budget deliberation. Therefore, applications to Recreation Boards are competitive.

Organizations wishing to apply to Recreation Boards should consider this when drafting their applications and ensure they provide all the necessary documentation needed for their request; a financial statement, project/event budget, quotes, etc., and send a completed application.

Eligible applicants include Registered Non-Profit Organizations and Societies operating within the County of Northern Lights or one of the Support Communities, as outlined in the Recreation District map

To make a request for funds from a Recreation Board

  1. Review the application and submission guidelines to ensure eligibility.
  2. Fill out the Requests for Funds Made to Recreation Board application form and attach supporting documents; budget, financial statement, quotes, etc.
  3. Submit your completed application and accompanying documents directly to the Recreation Board serving your district at the address or email shown below. 

Application Deadline

Recreation Boards accept applications continually throughout the year; however, please submit applications at least two weeks before funds are needed for your event, program, or project to allow Recreation Boards time to review applications.

County of Northern Lights South Recreation Board (Wards 1, 2, 3, Towns of Peace River and Grimshaw)

Submit completed 'Request for Funds Made to Recreation Boards' application forms to:

South Recreation Board 

Box 147

Dixonville, AB 

T0H 1E0


Tel: 780-618-6451


Northern Lights Recreation Board (Wards 4, 5, 6, 7, Town of Manning)

Submit completed 'Request for Funds Made to Recreation Boards' application forms to:

North Recreation Board

Box 873

Manning, AB                                                                                                                               

T0H 2M0


Tel:  780-836-6496


If you have any questions related to applying to a Recreation Board for funding, please contact Trinidy Schmidt, Community Services Coordinator, at 780-836-3348 ext. 238 or